Sunday, January 20, 2013

Winter Hair Blahs


    Photo: #protectivestyle #ilovescarves

Most naturals know that winter weather can be a nightmare for our hair. The air is drier (yes even in Humidity City aka Houston) and therefore sucks moisture out of our curls. The wind can wreck havoc on your style, and all that blowing in the wind can lead to tangles, which lead to strands rubbing on each other, which can lead to cuticle damage...ugh! And don't even mention the wool collar of that beautiful pea-coat you love to life! It's like 'tis the season for split ends this time of year! Deck the halls with boughs of hair on the bathroom floor!
Every winter I make some pretty serious promises to my 'do about how much I'm going to treat her right and care for her. I promise to keep her in the best condition...I promise to keep her lookin' clean and shiny...and most importantly, I promise to protect her. 
Usually I start off with a bang. And then I get into the swing of the holidays and just wrapping up the year in general and my hair suddenly hits the bottom of my to-do list...and I end up in the above trademark style with no TLC in sight for weeks on end.
But this winter season is not over! I WILL get this 'do back on track! Here's my plan:
1. Set a weekly schedule for when to wash, co-wash, and deep condition my strands. I realize I've got to really plan this out and take the time to treat myself right. The holidays are a lot more fun when you feel great about your look!
2. Find some new, fun protective hairstyles to experiment with. The options are pretty endless, and yet I end up with this same go-to style. That will change very, very soon...look out for pics to come. I might wig it up...not sure yet...
3. Pre-pack travel-size portions of my hair products in preparation for my holiday travels. There is nothing worse than ending up in your tiny hometown with not a bottle of your favorite product anywhere in a 50+ mile radius. So I'm getting stocked up and rationing stuff out now. I'll let you know how it goes :-)
Riss

No comments:

Post a Comment