Sunday, January 20, 2013

Kinky N' Free: Inspiration at its Best


image
This is a pic of my absolutely BEAUTIFUL goddaughter's hair. Her mom writes:
"Little twists. This was taken after cheer so not as defined as before. Her curls are usually very tight and unruly. Doing the twists added definition and length :)Thanks, y'all! It was very pretty and lasted pretty well through the day. As you both know, the humidity is not nice on curls! It was pretty quick to do. Considering how small the twists were. I think I'll experiment with different sizes and also try the Bantu knots. :-) You 2 have given me a lot of hair advice!..[w]ell a little story about that...We were outside one day and she was rocking a fro with a headband. Teka [an African-American neighbor] kept telling her that she had n***er hair and needed to get a relaxer. I was furious! So, I pulled up Jaz's page and started to show her how beautiful her hair was and I told her, "Your hair can look like this, we just need to do what's right for you." Since then, we've been playing with twists and hairstyles. You also posted a picture of a lady that was also rocking a fro that said something along the lines of "my hair is beautiful to me.". You guys have seriously helped me show her, her hair is gorgeous the way it is, that she doesn't need to impress anyone else and to love herself. I seriously owe you guys! She wants straight hair and I ALWAYS show her your hair pictures and videos. Thank you! Thank you! :-D"
She's only 9, and this is the perfect age for her to learn to love her kinks and curls. This is exactly why we do what we do; to help girls get free from negative hair stereotypes and learn to love themselves just the way God created them!
Love,
Riss

No comments:

Post a Comment