Saturday, April 6, 2013

Surprised, but... Not Surprised


Mmmhmm, it's a LENGTH check! Haven't had the chance to show ya'll my growth in a little over a year (I think:-/) .....sorry about that! But lets see where we at now with this #NaturalHair

I was a bit surprised to see the length my hair had reached, however I was not surprised. I'll tell you why......

Last year, I was reaaaaallllyy struggling with being as consistent as I had been the previous 18 months  with my haircare practices. Mainly because it had reached a length that forced me to rethink my regime. O.O
I didn't have time to wash it weekly with the usual technique that was causing my hair to prosper. I also couldn't detangle it with the usual technique because that just took foooorrrever. I decided that it was time to alter my flow, and see if I could minimize some of that "wash time." As a result, I went through some major hair changes and I sometimes thought that my hair wouldn't survive the transition. lol

Changes such as experiencing:

1. dandruff
2. dryness
3. More tangles and knotting
4. Weaker hair strands

ALL bad right?! So I thought.

I guess the transition wasn't as bad as I thought it was. It seemed like the changes in my regimen were causing my hair to really suffer rather than get better. But that was far from the truth. It reminds me of many times of transition that we experience in life when everything around us is changing, (relationships, career, family life, etc..) and sometimes it looks real bad so that it can eventually look real good. You feel me? My point is, where there is disorder, there is an opportunity to bring things into order! Yup you read me clearly, an OPPORTUNITY! An opportunity to make things better:-)

I thank God for this particular opportunity to make my hair thrive in a newer, more practical way considering its length. I changed my wash time to once a week with either poo or conditioner. Depends on how I feel and how much build up has occurred on my scalp that last week. Sometimes I can get away with a co-wash (that is, conditioner wash), but not much:-/ Most of the time its poo and deep condition on 3rd week of the month. This isn't really much of a change from what I was doing before, but what changed more was my technique! Funny thing is, as I'm typing this, Im realizing how foolish it was for me to think that what my hair needed in order to be properly cleansed would change simply because it got longer :-/ lol Silly me. Anywho, It was the technique that changed the most!

I now wash using my fingers only! Usually I start with rinsing it thoroughly and either detangling it in 8 jumbo twists using a conditioner with impeccable slip, and the harp technique that Kim Love from LuvNaturals taught me. OR I set it in 8 jumbo twists, apply poo to ONLY my scalp, massage it through, rinse, and THEN detangle using a conditioner. No matter which order I choose, I always end up with moisturizing and sealing in the end and preparing it for whatever style i'll be rocking the next morn :-) All of this only takes almost 1 hour and 30 minutes! This is EPIC because it used to take me about 4-6 hours to wash and detangle my hair! Yea.... I'm winning!

I learned so much about my hair during these transitioning phases and all in all, it turned out......well.....you'll see! Watch the vid!! ;-)

Hope everyone enjoyed their Easter Sunday! Remember, He lives!!!!! Yaaaaaayyy!! \o/ #TeamJesus #Kinkynfree


- Jaz


No comments:

Post a Comment