Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Be-YOU-tiful





I just LOVE Dove's Real Beauty campaign. And the video above is one example of why. I was literally in tears when I realized what they were doing til the end of the video.

It's funny because last week, Jaz and I were researching the data behind the Beauty Treatments we offer in Kinky N' Free and came across a statistic that something like only 2% of women think they are beautiful. Jaz couldn't believe it so she went on a hunt to find a more accurate statistic. What she found was a study conducted by Dove that found a mere 2% increase, that only 4% of women think they are attractive.

I have spent my whole life struggling to accept my looks; that statistic didn't shock me. Maybe I'll write more about that later (I feel an itch coming on :-) But even beyond me, I have countless friends who are beautiful inside and out who, like these women, would describe themselves in a way to make you think they are much less attractive. 

Each of us is beautiful in our own way and to different people. I give Dove kudos for waking these women up to their own beauty and for igniting a desire to see it in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment