Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dream Catcher

Four styles from the Summer Collection by A Leap of Style available for purchase at  A Leap of Style on Etsy
I can clearly remember the first piece of clothing I ever made: a pair of cloud print, flare-legged pants. I was in the 7th grade and I was inspired by the pin cushion I made in Home Ec class (geeze what ever happened to teaching those skills in school???? I bet some of you won't even know what Home Economics is!) I went home and begged my mom to teach me to sew - something she'd wanted to do for years. And from there  my dream to become a designer was born.

Now those cloud print pants ripped down the butt the first time I bent down to get into my locker, but that was not the end of my dream. I sketched, and dreamed, and sketched, then sewed, then sketched some more. I was determined to become a fashion designer. I dreamed of having my own line of stylish clothes that would fit the personality and curves of every woman despite her size. I continued making pieces for myself and the occasional shirt or dress for my friends throughout high school (shout out to everyone who got  A Leap of Style originals back in the day...before it even had a name :-)

Then somewhere down the line a different seed was planted. One that said the fashion industry is too hard to break into. More importantly, there was a lie that said I didn't have enough talent to make money in the fashion industry. So I put my dream aside and started to chase what the world told me was right to chase, and I've never been quite right since then...

Okay, okay. Maybe that's too dramatic, but seriously a dream deferred...will kill your spirit. I am a pretty creative girl and I thrive on making...EVERYTHING! For years now, I've limited that to the occasional weekend DIY or my Winter Crochet Frenzy. But this year is about more than dreaming on the side of doing life. This year is about doing the dream. About making the dream the reality. About trusting God enough to know that when He says I can do all things in Christ - yea, He means that!

That means I can break into the fashion world. That means you can be a doctor. That means your best friend can fly to the moon. That means that we can do literally all things - that we can make our dreams happen because even if we fail, we still have the approval of the only One who really matters. That is a promise you can leap on :-)

Riss

No comments:

Post a Comment